When I heard that Viking Cruises was bringing their ocean liner, the ‘Viking Star,’ for the first time to sail in US waters, I was very pleased to be able to join this voyage.
She started in New York for 4 nights at sea until disembarkation in Puerto Rico. There were not any ports of call in this case but a good opportunity to enjoy and get to know the ship. Seas were fairly calm and a relief after the hurricane of the previous week.
I took a night flight from San Diego to New York JFK. Spent a few hours in Jet Blue’s Terminal (new and very comfortable). I then took the lowest priced transfer I could find to the Manhattan Pier……which was with Super Shuttle ($22.00 plus gratuity). I was fortunate to be the second one off and was dropped right at the entrance to Pier 88.
Proceeded through security, checked in, found out lunch was ready, and then to my waiting cabin. Worked out like clockwork!
WHAT TO EXPECT
- A new ship (2015) with 930 passengers
- All cabins have verandahs (no inside cabins)
- Focus on passengers 55+ and no one under 18 years
- 2 pools indoor and outdoor with retractable roof. Have movies under the stars
- Unlimited free Wi Fi
- One shore excursion included in each port of call
- Beer and wine served with lunch and dinner
- Alternative restaurants with no extra charge
- Multipurpose theatre for production shows, enrichment lectures, first run films, port talks etc.
WHAT I LIKED
- All areas of the ship were warm and inviting. Enjoyed the Scandinavian design with all the details
- Afternoon tea in the Wintergarden
- Bathrooms had the best and easiest designed shower and tap handles I have ever seen. And along with fog proof mirrors and heated floors it was a good place to visit.
- Scandinavian inspired spa including a snow grotto…..good place to visit after a sauna……..Snowflakes come down at times…….benches filled with snow
- Explorer’s Lounge 2 levels forward for ‘scenic sailing’…..a favorite gathering place
- Norwegian waffles
WHAT I DIDN’T LIKE
- I thought really hard but could not find a negative
I felt very fortunate being able to experience this journey on the Viking Star. It definitely exceeded my expectations.
The Caribbean cruise market will have a new ‘Star.’
Contact me for more information on your next Viking Cruise!
Direct Line: 760.479.4328
Other posts by ntuomiYou can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.